.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, January 15, 2007

Cognitive Dissonance

Do you ever get a version of someone in your head that may or may not be completely accurate? This version can be based somewhat on reality, but often also is based on associations with other from the past, or just personal biases. And then the person does or says something that doesn't fit your version in your head. And it's really confusing, and you really have a difficult time reconciling it with your version. It creates such dissonance, at least for me. Still working on it.

4 Comments:

At January 15, 2007 5:56 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

It's much better to get an accurate picture at first. Then you don't have to worry about it! :P

 
At January 15, 2007 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like with friends from school who i don't see often now. I remember them from high school and that's the version that i know so when i see them these days and they've changed, sometimes it's hard to get my head around!

 
At January 15, 2007 10:13 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
If that's possible. It's isn't always, especially when you consider one's own past associations.

Sarah -
Exactly.

 
At January 16, 2007 12:22 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

I know, I was kidding. The most interesting for me is like Sarah said - running into people I haven't seen in a while doing things I would never have imagined them doing - not necessarily a big change, which fits their personality, but something that seems so out of character.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home