.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Friday, August 25, 2006

Webcams

I was at school yesterday killing some time, reading a really bad book (why don't I stop in the middle? I can't figure it out.). There was a guy in the lounge I was hanging out in when I came in and at first I thought he was talking on his cell phone via a headset in some foreign language (it sounded vaguely Spanish, but I really wasn't sure). He had his laptop on his lap and was typing while he spoke. I wasn't pay too much attention to him until I really got tired of my bad book. At one point during a lull I was looking around and I noticed that he was fairly intent on his computer while still talking. Looking a bit closer, I saw that he had a webcam arranged on the top of his laptop and he was not actually talking on a cell phone, it was a microphone attached to his computer. I realized he was talking face to face with someone somewhere else in the world, all via the Internet.

I've always found the webcam thing to be a bit disturbing, never understanding the need for it. (This also goes for plastering pictures of myself all over the Internet, which I refuse to do, which explains my lack of photos of myself on my blog.)

It was kind of surreal realizing that this guy was beaming pictures of himself and seeing the person he was speaking to from the lounge at my school. But kind of cool also.

5 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 2:31 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

I'm not a fan of video communication, but OTOH it's fun when my sister puts her kids on the webcam and we're talking online. I thought you didn't plaster pics because you're semi-anon. :) Meanwhile, even those of us who do plaster pics tend to avoid being in them - I think there's less than 5 of me in the 15 months I've been blogging.... and even then, it's partially because it's an easy way for friends/family to keep tabs.

Europeans in general seem to be more into face-to-face communication, perhaps because their expressions are such a large part of how they communicate; usually, I'd say it's too much, but there's something to being actually able to see the person you're talking to. It's almost a lost art, in the age of cellphones and AIM.

 
At August 25, 2006 2:52 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -

I did have someone once tell me webcams are for people to to be able to have their kids see their grandparents.

I don't feel especially anonymous these days since my appearance at the shabbaton, not that I was incredibly anonymous before. Even with as many people who know me now, I still have no interest in having my face on the Internet.

And while you may not post so many pics of yourself, your face is all over everyone's comments since it's your profile pic.

And come on, admit it, aren't there some people you would rather communicate with via AIM than in person???

Have a good Shabbos!

 
At August 27, 2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

We use webcam a lot mainly because my brother is overseas and it's cheaper (free almost) than calling. Mum loves being able to see her (not so) little boy face to face! And it's nice to be able to see our friends who are around there as well (I've had a tour of their new house all while in the comfort of my study!)
But I don't think I'd be comfortable just starting up webcam to speak to complete strangers! So AIM is fine for that!

 
At August 28, 2006 2:09 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

That's so funny - I totally forgot that my profile pic has my face... though I don't really look like that anymore. That was many pounds ago... :)

There's almost nobody I'd rather AIM than talk to, though at certain times that's true - it's good for quick convos when you just don't have time. There are people who I'd rather not talk to at all most of the time, though...

 
At August 28, 2006 8:11 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sarah -
I'm sure your mom does enjoy seeing her son even from such a distance!

Ezzie -
I recognized you without a problem ;)

AIM is great for those times you are stuck at work and can't talk on the phone, but when typing, it looks like you are actually working hard!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home