.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Issues with Artscroll

During the Torah reading in shul on Shabbos, I usually read the English translation of the Torah portion while they are reading it in Hebrew. I get a lot more out of it that way, since my Hebrew is quite lacking. The problem is that I use an Artscroll Stone Chumash. And I am finding whenever I have a question about a phrase or something said in the Torah portion, that might be slightly controversial, Artscroll completely ignores it in the commentary. Absolutely skips over commenting on those verses. So I'm getting annoyed with it. Does anyone have any suggestions of better translations with commentary that I could read?

5 Comments:

At August 20, 2006 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan The Living Torah

 
At August 21, 2006 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a nice set of (blue cover) English/Hebrew chumashim with Rashi. (I can't remember what it's called so I'll look it up when I get home. Hopefully they still sell it.) You're best off reading the parsha at home and listening in shul and following along.

 
At August 22, 2006 12:03 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Thanks for the suggestions.

 
At August 24, 2006 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found it!

ben Isaiah, (Rabbi) Abraham, and Sharfman, (Rabbi) Binyamin, in collaberation with Dr. Harry M. Orlinsky and Rabbi Dr. Morris Charner. The Pentateuch and Rashi's Commentary: A Linear Translation into English. 5 vols. SS&R Publishing Co., JPS, Philadelphia PA. 1950. [A very useable translation as the wording and linear translation are broken up to make both the Hebrew and English readable together. The Rash is printed in started Hebrew print with the vowels put in besides the linear translation.]

(Description from http://shamash.org/lists/scj-faq/HTML/rl/gen-torah.html)

 
At August 25, 2006 8:44 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
Thanks! Unfortunately, it looks like it's out of print :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home