.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Explaining the Difference

During my trip down South, my dad was asking me lots of questions about what differentiates me and my Orthodox observance from that of the Chabad families who live in Birmingham. And between other Chasidic groups, and Chareidim, and Modern Orthodox. I had such a hard time figuring out how to explain it all. The difference in dress, kashrut, approach to Judaism, etc. I could see that he was thinking about Chasidic men in their black and white and streimels vs. my skirts and long-sleeved shirts, and it was really difficult trying to explain the differences, and the similarities, especially without being derogative towards any group. He asked me whether Chasidic Jews were basically a cult - following a leader, and I had a hard time saying why they aren't. It was really confusing.

5 Comments:

At August 17, 2006 1:22 AM, Blogger P L said...

At first the idea of Chasidim as a cult stroke me as funny, but the more I think about it, I am not sure how to distinguish them from a cult. They share the same traits:

1. A supreme leader who's word is sacrosanct.
2. A strict dress requirement that identifies you as a member of the group
3. A belief that your group and leader are "right" and everyone else is basically wrong.

I suppose you could also say that Judaism is a cult because it fits that description.

I think that at the end of the day the negative connotation of "cult" is the lack of choice. Judaism teaches that the greatest gift Hashem gave us is bechira - choice. Hashem commands us to choose good over evil.

I see "cults" as groups or sects that don't give their adherents a choice. There is a physical or sociological threat if they don't comply.

Then again, Judaism as well as being an American have those components as well.

Hmmm... I think we are all in one sort of cult or other. Come to think of it, what is the problem with being in a cult?

The only problem I can see is an abusive cult that doesn't respect the dignity of its adherence. Other then that WE ARE ALL in one sort of cult or another. It's just a question of degrees.

 
At August 17, 2006 2:54 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Kinda like PL, but... they simply place more emphasis on their leader's opinion than most other sects of Judaism. They feel that he has earned his status as a respected leader, and that he is the proper guide to a certain way of life - it's not that it's not individualistic, but it definitely leans more to a specific set of rules in certain areas which it feels will lead to a better way of life.

I guess you can call it more structured. A small-scale government structure, so to speak. Plato's Philosopher-King. :)

 
At August 17, 2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

P-Life -
Do you really think that A) most cults don't claim to give their adherents a choice? and B) that Judaism really does (especially Chasidic groups)? How much pressure do you think most Chasidic (or non-Chasidic) Orthodox Jewish groups give a person to follow it's leadership and not to sway from it? Do you think it's easy for most adherents to exercise that choice and leave?

Ezzie -
I think that's what I tried to explain to my dad. It's a hard line to explain how it is the same as other streams of Orthodox Judaism, but at the same time isn't. I do like the Plato reference though :)

 
At August 17, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

When you quote Plato, people dig it. No matter who they are. It's astounding, really... :)

 
At August 17, 2006 12:52 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
That's probably true, but Plato also happens to be one of my personal favorite philosophers :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home