.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Saturday, August 19, 2006

Shabbos Table Discussion

Had an interesting discussion over Shabbos, which I might expound upon later, about why people follow the herd. Why makes something popular, and why so many people, without real reason, seem to follow along. The example that sparked the conversation was pop music - why specific artists, without real talent, become so big. I haven't read the book "The Tipping Point" but from what I have heard, I imagine it explains it. My explanation was the "spin" that is used to make things cool. But it's beyond that - we explored the idea that we do what is "right" or "appropriate" without thinking about why such things are deemed that way. And we didn't really find great reason.

2 Comments:

At August 22, 2006 2:14 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Spin, buzz, hype... whatever you want to call it. It's all an advanced form of peer pressure, societal pressure, etc.

The same is true of attitudes towards certain things in the Orthodox world as well... and in just about everything. And, though I hate to spam, see my post on a similar note from today (Embarrassment).

 
At August 22, 2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
I agree that it's all part of the mentality that one must "fit in" to belong. You certainly see this as well in the Orthodox world. I saw your post, and am appalled, though unfortunately not surprised, that people feel it appropriate to act in such manners while at the same time, criticizing the behavior of others. But that is hypocracy, and unforunately, it is prevalent among many.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home