.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Try It, You Might Like It

My mother is a technophobe. She does just about everything she can to avoid using a computer, and most other technological devices. She probably doesn't even know what a blog is.

In the past, whenever she has needed to do anything online, she has asked my "baby" brother to help her. However, my "baby" brother is now in college, leaving my mom in the house alone. With the computer.

Said "baby" brother put together a tutorial to instruct my mom how to go online. It was really very cute. And he set up an e-mail address for her, which I thought she would never use. She's just always said she has no interest, and that she doesn't like it.

She sent me an e-mail the other day asking what was going on, and updating me about her life. I responded, including a note about how surprised and proud I was that she was using her e-mail.

Her response to that - "i'm loving using the email-it's kinda fun!"

4 Comments:

At August 31, 2006 6:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got my Mom into computers and e mail too and she LOVES it! Especially since it's easier to keep in touch with me via e mail than phone ;-)

 
At August 31, 2006 7:29 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sara -
It is a lot easier - I think my mom is enjoying that aspect as well.

 
At September 01, 2006 5:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know what: we are so alike in terms of mothers! My mother, at the tender age of just forty-four has still never ever sent a single email in her life, logged on to a website or even sent a text message which I think utterly amazing in the cyber culture that we live in nowadays!

V. proud of your mum getting the hang of the ole email thing and ditching the old school 'snail mail' form - it's a big step! :)

 
At September 01, 2006 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shoshana! I have posted to you before, this makes me laugh. I am 53 and when my husband brought home the first computer to our house, about 12 years ago I just dusted it for about 2 months! That's right I never turned it on. Then I worked my way up to talking to it, sounds a bit nuts I know. But whatever works right? So after making nice for an eternity I turned it on. Good Grief I was sweating, kept thinking I would blow up the house or something with it. Anyway I got through the little tutorial and Mavis Becon typing program and now I am a wiz! I fix them now, and yes I still talk to them too. Sometimes my blessings are less than God approved.....your mother will be doing all kinds of things in a short time, you'll see. Therese

 

Post a Comment

<< Home