.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Goodnight Moon

This post by Rabbi Fleischmann (NY's Funniest Rabbi, in case you didn't know) reminded me of the book Goodnight Moon. And since some of my favorites posts by Rabbi Fleischmann are his free association posts (mainly because I don't know how to write a haiku, but I can handle free association), I thought I would let his post give me the tangent I need to start my own.

Goodbye Wall reminds me of Goodnight Moon in name as well as feeling. I loved the Kotel at night with the moon and the stars in the clear, clear Jerusalem sky shining above. The time I visited Israel in the summer I don't remember seeing a single cloud and one of the best and most memorable moments is when they took us out in the middle of the desert, made everyone get off the bus, and suddenly turned off all the lights around the area. We were left standing in the dark, with the incredibly bright stars shining above us. I had almost forgotten that amazing moment. It caught my breath then and still does now when I think about it.

The stars make me think of two things. The first is the glow in the dark stars that whoever lived in my apartment before affixed to my ceiling. I really like them. It makes me happy to see them when I turn out my light at night. The stars also make me think about Pluto and how it was recently demoted. I always liked Pluto, mainly because it was the smallest planet, and I like rooting for the underdog. So, now I'm doubly rooting for it, maybe they'll decide it's a planet again. But I kinda doubt it.

Pluto reminds me of Mickey Mouse, and sidekicks, and Disney Land, which I went to once when I was two. I don't remember much except the fact that I had a pair of Mickey Mouse ears with my name on it for a long time (I wonder how many "Shoshana"s they put on Mickey Mouse ears) and that we went on some ride on water and when we got out we were lost. It was a long time ago.

And water brings me back to Rabbi Fleischmann's blog, where his most recent post is one of a lake, which is beautiful. And I love water, lakes and oceans and rivers (or even the duck pond here in Passaic), as well as loving stars (along with the other things in the sky, like Pluto), but I've never been such a fan of Disney (because their movies are all scary).

Anyway, that's my free association for the night. I'm going to sleep now, and going to look at the stars on my ceiling and be happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home