.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, July 10, 2006

Pet Friendly Offices

I just read this article about how more and more work environments have become work friendly. The article quotes a 20% pet-friendly office percentage, though one of the examples used in the article is a place where the employees tele-commute, so I don't really think that should be counted. My current office is the only one I have ever experienced to be pet friendly, though one other company I worked for included a slightly eccentric CEO who kept his parrot as a companion in his office.

According to the article, "Millions of Americans believe pets on the job lower absenteeism and encourage workers to get along." I kinda have to disagree with that one. My experience in having 2 dogs at work leads me to believe that the presence of pets does little to improve the work environment, and discourages some from joining the company. I'm not anti-dog, but I've certainly seen how having a dog in the office is a bit unprofessional and definitely heightens some of the tension in the office.

Anyone else have pets in their office?

2 Comments:

At July 10, 2006 5:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never worked anywhere that allowed pets and I think it's highly unprofessional to allow pets into an office, unless your job has something to do with animals. I would not enjoy working with pets around. This is not Central Park.

 
At July 11, 2006 6:28 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sara -
I agree that it's unprofessional. It's a lot of fun when I'm on the phone with a client and the dog starts barking his head off. Right now we are experiencing a dog-free month (along with a boss-free month!) and I'm enjoying it quite a bit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home