.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Friday, June 30, 2006

Interesting Advertising

This morning on the bus, I noticed this ad on a huge billboard:



Now, I know this ad is for Abercrombie and Fitch, because I can kind of read the name of the company behind the almost naked guy. But if I wasn't already familiar with the company, I don't know if I would have any idea who it was for, and that they were trying to sell clothing, considering the fact that the model in question is wearing almost none.

So I have to wonder about the wisdom of Abercrombie's marketing department - nowhere on the ad does it actually say the whole name of the company or what they are selling. If I wasn't fairly knowledgable, I would think the ad was for a gym or tanning salon. I would think the point of advertising for a clothing store to be marketing the clothing they sell. But that's just me.

3 Comments:

At June 30, 2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the point is to get your attention, which it did. In that sense it was a successful ad - it caught your eye.

 
At June 30, 2006 5:31 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

I suppose that's true. The problem is, had I wanted to go looking for those abs, I couldn't have found them :(

 
At July 03, 2006 11:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A & F is known for its ads...'nuff said

 

Post a Comment

<< Home