.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Another Tag - Book Themed

Ze'ev tagged me with his own version of the Ipod meme - a book meme. I'm listing books I have either recently read or all-time favorites that I just loved (by the way, they are in no particular order).

1. Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery - One of my all time favorites that I have to read every once in a while. Anne is the best - I can really relate to her.
2. The Source – James Michener - One of my father's favorites, passed on to me, just a really interesting glimpse into what might have been Israel a really long time ago.
3. A Prayer for Owen Meany – John Irving - John Irving is both bizarre and fantastic and I thought this was his absolute best.
4. The Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger - Classic that I read while on a trip to New York, fittingly.
5. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee - Another classic that I recently read that was excellent.
6. I Know This Much is True & She’s Come Undone – Wally Lamb* - Both excellent, slightly weird books that just really held my attention and were very different from the typical books out there.
7. East of Eden – John Steinbeck - Recently read, interesting, but definitely shows the darker side of humanity.
8. Where the Heart Is – Billie Letts* - Was made into an OK movie, but the book is really heart-warming and shows that you really can change your destiny.
9. The Namesake – Jhumpa Lahiri - Just read it, posted about it on my other blog, showed humans being really human, and the struggles with identity.
10. Stones from the River – Ursula Hegi* - Was an interesting read, a Holocaust book from a non-Jewish perspective.
11. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest – Ken Kesey - Another classic, I haven't ever even seen the movie, but excellent book.
12. Sati – Christopher Pike - a young adult book, probably kind of heretical, but was an interesting take on religion and spirituality.
13. Where the Sidewalk Ends – Shel Silverstein - a childhood favorite, almost falling apart now, it was a security blanket for me growing up.
14. The Odyssey – Homer - I read the Iliad for school, and then decided that I wanted to read the Odyssey and liked it much better. The original adventure book.
15. The Committed Life – Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis - very inspiring, I read this one shortly after becoming frum.

*I was really into Oprah books when her book club was at its peak, so several of these books can be attributed to her.

There ya have it - I would recommend any of them. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home