.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Pet Names

Even though I am from the South, I am always a little taken aback when called by a pet name by someone I don't know at all. I was just on the phone with a client who called me "hon" as we were hanging up. Have never laid eyes on this man in my life, I think this might have been our first conversation. Since moving up here, I have also had bus drivers, store clerks and several others call me either sweetie or hon or other similar monikers. I am not sure why it bothers me, maybe because of the familiarity it seems to assume?

6 Comments:

At December 01, 2005 4:28 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Imagine when that happens when you're a guy...!

 
At December 02, 2005 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In a professional setting, I don't think there is any place for pet names.

 
At December 02, 2005 12:29 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
Does that happen often to you?

Sara -
I agree, but it seems to happen often.

 
At December 03, 2005 9:52 PM, Blogger respondingtojblogs said...

Sweetie and Hon are a blessing compared to what people call me. (Hint: it involves creative usage of many 4-letter words).

 
At December 04, 2005 6:45 PM, Blogger MC Aryeh said...

I have been called hon or sweetie - mostly by older women - and it doesn't bother me because it is meant in an endearing way. I could see where a woman might find it condescending coming from a man though - especially in an office setting.

 
At December 05, 2005 8:36 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

ym -
Petnames do seem to be used more frequently in smaller towns, people are just more personal, more friendly and see petnames as a friendly gesture.

R2JB -
I think I would be more upset about the names that you get called!

Mcaryeh -
I don't mind it when it comes from someone I know as much, and I used to be more used to it, because it was very common to hear in the South. I guess it just always surprises me when coming from someone who does't know me at all, due to the familiarity assumed by it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home