.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, September 26, 2005

Lots of stuff from Horeb:

Love of God
"To love" means to feel one's own being only through and in the being of another. "To love God," therefore, means to feel that one's own existence and activity are rendered possible and obtain value and significance only through God and in God.

I agree with this about love of God, but I think it would concern me if my love for another human was so incredibly all-encompassing that I couldn't even feel who I am without it being caught up in another person. On the other hand, maybe that would be an incredible relationship, that you wouldn't even know where you end and the other person begins...

Trust in God
He rewards them in the sphere of their desires - if their activity is selfish, if it consists in earthly, external wrongdoings, if it aims only at external, and therefore transitory, prosperity and joy, then their reward also is only in the transistory. Let hem enjoy their transistory wrong-doing, wealth and prosperity, and perish like what they have acquired. But for those who...pursue only the eternal, the reward is also eternal.


A good reason to not be jealous of those things that others have, the gizmos and gadgets and fancy cars and houses. They may enjoy those material comforts here, but eventually, the eternal is a much greater reward to desire and deserve.

History is just, for its Director is the perfectly just One.


Abraham was to become a people - and till he was 100 years old he did not have a son who was to be the first stone in the edifice of the people!


Dare to do it, and if you are the only one, dare to be the only son and the only daughter of Israel - in every age. Alone, you say; you by yourself against so many - what would be the use? Consider now: Abraham was also only one when God called him. And when the children of Israel fell to sin and they were all doomed to perish, God wished to continue the mission of His people through the one man, Moses.


I guess we have some amazing examples to learn from. I have a friend who used to liken my journey to become religious to that of Avraham's. I think she was giving me way too much credit, but it does give a person strength to know that there were those who went before us and succeeded in such incredible fashion, without any support, besides that of Hashem.

The entire section on suffering is absolutely amazing.

2 Comments:

At September 27, 2005 5:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting some commentaries from "Horeb"...I am so keen on getting the book now.
Keep up the good thoughts!

 
At September 27, 2005 8:21 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Adi -

Definitely get it - I am addicted! I have been carrying it around with me everywhere and reading bits and pieces along my journeys during the day, it is a great companion. I don't know if I have found any other jewish book that I find so inspiring and thought-provoking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home