.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Saturday, September 24, 2005

I went to a family for Shabbos lunch today. They obviously didn't have a lot of money; they were fairly simple people. Even though they plainly didn't live extravagant lives, the wife told me several times how much they love having company and how there wasn't a time that was not good for me to come. I believed her, she had called me three times to try to have me as a guest for Shabbos. This focus on others was something I also saw in Israel. I saw families with ten children crowded into three bedrooms, because they wanted to have space that was exclusively for guests. I think they really have their priorities in order.

1 Comments:

At October 03, 2005 11:57 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

That's awesome! We have a 1-BR apartment, but we have guests on a constant basis - over Rosh Hashana we're having about 30-35 over 4 meals. It's hard to explain the joy in having guests. But then again, things also get a bit crazy by us - check out my crazy shabbos series in the archives, it's pretty funny.

I was definitely inspired by Israel as well - the hospitality of all the places I stayed (we have many family friends and relatives there), no matter what "type" they were, was incredible, no matter how much they couldn't afford it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home