.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, September 22, 2005

I was reading about humility last night in Horeb. One of the statements that Rav Hirsch makes is that everything we have is actually from Hashem. Due to this, the more that we have, the more talents and wonderful attributes we have been given by Hashem, then it is all the more that we can't take credit for and have to be grateful for. This should give us more humility and less pride, because those things are gifts rather than something we worked for.

It was an interesting perspective and something that makes humility make more sense to me now. It fits in with the feeling I have always had about not being so proud about the fact that I am intelligent. I always felt it was something that I appreciated and was very lucky to have, but not something I worked hard to get, and therefore, shouldn't necessarily be praised for. If I use my intelligence in order to accompish goals, then that is what I can accept praise for (not that I need it). I really love that book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home