.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, September 26, 2005

And in contrast, from J.D. Salinger:

In Franny and Zooey

Everything everybody does is so - I don't know - not wrong, or even mean, or even stupid necessarily. But just so tiny and meaningless and - sad-making. And the worst part is, if you go bohemian or something crazy like that, you're comforming just as much as everybody else, only in a different way.


I've often thought this same thing about the teenagers you see who go punk, trying so hard to be different, when they really all manage to look the same as each other. Each of them trying to be invididuals so hard, but only doing it in the way that their peers show them. I guess they do shock their parents, and there's lots to enjoy about that, but it certainly doesn't posit individuality.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home