.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Worth It

I had a really good day at my internship yesterday. I had a session with one of the students that I have been working with regularly. For one of the first times, we really discussed who she is and how she really feels about things, rather than just the events that occurred during the past week. The things we discussed weren't incredibly easy for her to share, but I think she was glad that she did. It made me feel good that we have developed a relationship where I have earned her trust enough for her to let me really see who she is behind the facade she shows everyone else. Another student told me how much she enjoys coming because it's the only place she can really talk about things - her friends don't care or listen to her without judgment and she has a really tough time at home.

I've found myself discussing my internship with people and feeling a real passion for what I am doing now. I don't know if I have ever felt the same way - like I am doing something that is truly worthwhile, even if just in a small way. And that I am doing a good job at it.

It is honestly a huge relief. After so many years of learning theory and hoping that I really did choose the right path for myself, it is incredible to feel the sense of fulfillment that I do when talking to students. All the crazy long days and working so hard are worth it.

1 Comments:

At February 13, 2008 12:31 PM, Blogger come running said...

I am sooo happy for you, and these lucky children will remember you for years and years.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home