.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Friday, January 26, 2007

Walls or Lack Thereof

Amongst the links my rarely-commenting friend (in the future to be referred to as RCF) sent me lately was one to the website of the Chief Rabbi of England, Rabbi Jonathan Sacks. I had a couple hours to kill last night before class, so I read one of his lectures, this one focusing on "Revelation - Torah from Heaven." It was an very interesting read. One line in particular, that didn't actually have much to do with the topic, but that I totally agree with was this:

And I just add, as my commentary on Jewish life, that I do not think that those who live behind high walls, a self-imposed ghetto, are necessarily the strongest Jews. The strongest Jews are those who are able to live without those high walls. Confident in their faith they can engage in dialogue with other people's faith - or other people's culture.

2 Comments:

At January 26, 2007 11:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spot on!!
I believe that people choose to live "behind high walls" because they think they can't be a good Jew without restrictions. Judaism is hard, yes, but you don't have to make it harder than G-d intended.

 
At January 26, 2007 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ETA...Although some people believe the "high walls" ARE what G-d intended...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home