.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Good Teachers

It's amazing what a difference a good professor makes.

In my Tuesday class, I viewed the class as a waste of two hours of my life each week. The professor literally taught me nothing the entire semester that I didn't already know. Perhaps some of the students in my class who didn't have such strong backgrounds in research and measurements learned something, but I didn't. I took maybe one page of notes the entire semester and the one class period that I skipped, I don't believe that I missed anything. I certainly haven't found it difficult to have missed any material.

My Thursday night class was fascinating. The professor completely knew what he was talking about. Now that I (finally) writing my paper, I discovered that the vast majority of his lectures, that I thankfully took good notes on, was completely different material from that offered in the textbook. I wouldn't have been able to write this paper without those notes. I LOVED the class, and learned a tremendous amount.

The outcome - next semester I am taking another class with the professor I liked in exchange for a difficult schedule. I'm passing on the class that was offered at a good time with the professor who taught me nothing. What a difference.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home