.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, December 11, 2006

Frum Agnostic?

Extremely interesting discussion going on over at XGH. I don't generally take part in commenting over there, mainly because it's a little confrontational and way too fast-paced for me, but my feeling about the post is that absolute knowledge and belief are very different things and absolute knowledge of something, especially religious beliefs, is an extremely difficult thing to possess. I think that most intellectually honest people have to question some of what is offered up as Orthodox Judaism, but that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't "frum" or even "religious." It means they are really thinking.

5 Comments:

At December 11, 2006 3:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, that partially depends on how you define "frum". But haven't we danced this dance before? ;-)

Seriously, though, I love XGH's blog and the discussions that take place there. I'll be making a whole entry about him soon. Fascinating dude.

 
At December 11, 2006 3:59 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

LT -
Yes, we have had that discussion. XGH absolutely offers his points in a clear-thinking, gutsy manner that makes me think a ton, probably too much at times. Will look forward to your post about him.

 
At December 11, 2006 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

makes me think a ton, probably too much at times.

No such thing!

 
At December 11, 2006 7:47 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

It means they are really thinking.

I ran into an old family friend in Baltimore one time. He commented at GH back in the day (could be still does sometimes). His take on blogging? "It is comforting to know that there are other people out there who actually THINK."

 
At December 12, 2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

LT -
I guess I just meant that the cognitive dissonance that comes from thinking so much can often become a weight, but you're right, I don't actually think there is any such thing as thinking too much.

Ezzie -
I agree, it is comforting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home