.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, November 27, 2006

Through Different Eyes

About two and a half years ago, while living in Baltimore, I decided to take a day trip up to New York to explore the city a little and specifically, to spend a beautiful spring day in Central Park. I took the train up and when I stepped out of Penn Station, right in front of Madison Square Garden, I was inundated with the honking of horns, the sight of really tall buildings and the rush of a ton of people hurrying every which way. It was completely overwhelming and a totally new experience.

Today, during my lunch break, I took the same steps out of Penn Station. But what I was greeted with was what has become my daily bombardment of noise, that I take more or less for granted. The streets were familiar, I knew exactly which way to go and where I was headed. It was a totally different feeling than that day two and a half years ago.

It's weird how quickly we get used to what was once so alarming and different.

10 Comments:

At November 27, 2006 3:54 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

...and that 2 years ago, you *wanted* to be here. :P

 
At November 27, 2006 4:00 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
I never *wanted* to be here. Maybe as a tourist for a day, but that's about it.

 
At November 27, 2006 6:02 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

it is very overwhelming. specially for a tourist. you adapt though!

 
At November 27, 2006 6:36 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Right, that's kind of what I meant. Everyone wants to come visit NY. But living here makes you want to run...

 
At November 27, 2006 9:02 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sarah -
I seem to have!

Ezzie -
Remind me again, why aren't we off and running?

 
At November 27, 2006 10:08 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

OMG...how I can so relate... :) So weird that I am the one giving directions now and know the city so well.

 
At November 28, 2006 12:55 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

LOL. I asked my co-worker ("IPayTooMuchForMyHair") the same thing today. She said she's here, basically, "to date". I guess that could apply to you. As for me... I have No. Freaking. Clue.

:::packs bags, runs:::

 
At November 28, 2006 8:36 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sara -
I know! The first time I had someone come up to me and ask me directions, and I could help them, it was SO weird!

Ezzie -
I wouldn't say I'm solely here to date. I'm holding out until I finish school, and then hopefully - moving on out!

 
At November 28, 2006 9:44 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

Living here makes you want to run --> it's intense that city. I think requires a certain type to move there and make a go of it long term. I'm not sure I could. That's why i just get annoyed when people tell me I should move there. Fun place for a holiday though!

Nevertheless, I got asked directions when i'd only been in NY a few days and by then I was able to actually tell them the correct way to go. The MTA subway map was invaluable!

 
At November 28, 2006 11:26 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

It's usually that people come here for a combo of school and dating.

Then, people end up staying for a variety of reasons: Family that's here, friends all still live around here, etc. Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home