.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Indoctrination

I was told yesterday by an indoctrinated (AKA - WAY TOO FRUM) individual that it is against halacha to celebrate Thanksgiving, because it's not a Jewish holiday. I asked this individual whether he was an American, to which the response was a resounding yes. So, I asked, why on earth would it be a problem to celebrate a holiday that honors a part of his existence that he is very proud of? The response - it's not a Jewish holiday and it is against halacha to celebrate it. Hmmm...not an especially satisfying answer if you ask me. I wish people would think about and question whether there is any basis for such statements before they go shooting their mouths off. Because in the end, I just end up losing respect.

So, I present the qualified halachic opinion of Rabbi Michael Broyde, who says it's permissible to celebrate Thanksgiving (but not Halloween).

I have to note that I kind of wish Thanksgiving wasn't halachically permissible, and that I had better, more grounded reason for not being with my family, because honestly, it kinda sucks. Anyway.

3 Comments:

At November 23, 2006 11:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the spirit of misery loves company, let it be known that you're not the only one away from family. And having a more grounded reason for not being with family doesn't make it suck any less. In fact it is arguably worse for the disqualifying factor to be out of your own control.

Lest ye wonder what that reason could be: My work visa is in the process of being renewed and I can't leave the country until it gets processed. So take your pick between bureaucracy, restrictive trade practices, foreign policy, overzealous (yet still ineffective) homeland security. I think my only consolation is to spend tomorrow climbing over the hoards and arm wrestling the camper-outers for the last wide screen TV. Otherwise the terrorists will have won.

BTW, in case anybody reads this now, there's a U2 concert (Vertigo tour, from Chicago) being broadcast on HDNet right now.

 
At November 24, 2006 6:39 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Jeremy -
I wish I had read this comment earlier and could have watched the U2 concert.

I'm well-aware that I'm not the only person who can't be with family and you're right, my feeling sucky about it has nothing to do with having good reasons for it. If I were you, I'd give up on the US altogether - we're obviously so messed up anyway - who would want to live here? ;) But I am sorry about your visa hassles :(

 
At November 24, 2006 9:26 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

see www.hirhurim.blogspot.com for an excellent post on this topic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home