.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Definition of Yeshivish

I was on the bus today, minding my own business, listening to my Ipod, and trying to get a bit of a nap, when I couldn't help overhearing the two frum guys behind me and their discussion about the Upper West Side, dating, marriage and yeshivish people. Partly because I'm nosy, and partly because I view anything said on a public bus as fair game (when will people learn that their conversations could end up here?), I decided to listen in a bit. The consensus of the guy who (I think) was married was that, no matter how many people live on the Upper West Side, it's the place to not get married. The single guy was convinced that he wanted to move there (quite a bit of discussion ensued about that).

The funniest thing that was said was when they were discussing the definition of yeshivish. After a long, drawn out description of what yeshivish people wear (white shirt, black pants), the key to figuring out who exactly qualifies for yeshivish was determined by the married guy.

According to him, "Yeshivish people will have a gemara under their arms, but no smiles on their faces. They don't encourage smiling."

There ya go, folks - if you want to know a yeshivish person from a modern one, look for the ones who don't know how to smile.

10 Comments:

At October 10, 2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Reuven Chaim Klein said...

It's funny, and pretty close to the truth.

 
At October 11, 2006 1:27 AM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Guess that I am not very Yeshivish.

 
At October 11, 2006 4:26 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

there's a fine line i think!

 
At October 11, 2006 9:16 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Reb Chaim -
It was funny. Thankfully, most of the "yeshivish" people I know like smiling. (But then again, maybe they aren't truly yeshivish.)

Jack -
Me neither.

Sarah -
Very fine!

 
At October 11, 2006 11:14 AM, Blogger Reuven Chaim Klein said...

Do they drive cars that every part of the car makes noise except for the radio? Because that's yeshivish.

 
At October 11, 2006 12:23 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

LOL...the yeshivish people I know do smile, but, as you said, maybe they aren't that yeshivish. What people won't think of to define that term...

 
At October 11, 2006 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's an interesting observation, and I can see what they're implying -- that they take themselves very seriously and unlike Chassidim, don't think that ivdu et Hashem b'simcha is particularly important. It makes them sound like Pilgrims, which not an unapt comparison.

 
At October 11, 2006 1:09 PM, Blogger Reuven Chaim Klein said...

I once was taking a ferher for Toras Moshe (a popular American Yeshiva in Israel), and I got in an argument with the Rabbi giving me the test over what is considered Yeshivish. I took the first part of the ferher, then we davened mincha, and then I continued the ferher while still wearing my hat and jacket from mincha.

Him: Why do you want to come to Toras Moshe, you should know that we are not a very Yeshivish institution?
Me: So why do you work there?
Him (wearing a frock and a homburg hat): Maybe I'm not as Yeshivish as I look.
Me: So maybe I'm not as Yeshivish as I look.
Him: *chuckle* ...and then he continues the test...

In the end, I was accepted to Torah Moshe, but I didn't go because they aren't Yeshivish enough for me.

 
At October 11, 2006 10:44 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Reb Chaim - Yes, some of them do have those cars :)

Sarak -
That's the problem with all the boxes, so many people just don't fit!

debbie -
I'm not sure the person really meant it that seriously, in a comparison fashion. I think he just didn't like yeshivish people all that much.

Reb Chaim -
LOL. Cute story. Thanks.

 
At October 12, 2006 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess he might have been joking or just being disparaging, but saying that yeshivish people don't smile is hardly damning, you know? It's barely even an insult.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home