.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Duane Reade Owns Manhattan

Ok, I know I've posted before about my appreciation for the fact that there is a ubiquitiously-placed Duane Reade on every corner and I can purchase a new nail color or glittery make-up at any hour I wish. I also really enjoy the $5 coupons they reward you with for spending $100 on their overpriced merchandise.

What I had no idea of was the fact that Duane Reade really is Manhattan. I was instructed by a client to send a letter to "Reed" Street (my spelling). When attempting to find the correct spelling of the street, I discover it's actually "Reade" and there is a "Duane" street to accompany it!

6 Comments:

At September 14, 2006 1:43 PM, Blogger FrumWithQuestions said...

I hate everyting about Duane Reade. They are the most overpriced and expensive pharmacy. Who cares that you get money back for 100 dollars spent. You get to that amount quicker than another store and a 5 dollar coupon doesn't save you as much as if you went to another store where the product would be 5 dollars cheaper to begin with. They have a monopoly in Manhattan. Washington Heights is the only place where I have seen a Rite Aid and maybe on the West side but everywhere else it is a DR. I think the Mayor should do something about this monopoly because they are a bunch of thieves.

 
At September 14, 2006 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Find a CVS- you might be happier.

 
At September 14, 2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

frumwithquestions -
I know I have seen a few RiteAids around, but Duane Reade certainly does canvass the area well.

tw -
I used to be a huge fan of CVS when I lived in Baltimore and there was one right down the street from where I worked. But unfortunately, here there is no CVS nearby.

 
At September 14, 2006 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The closest drug store to my apt in KGH is Rite Aid...nice to have a change from all the Duane Reade's in the city.

 
At September 15, 2006 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've found that Rite Aide is more expensive than Duane Reade. Also, I've had some great customer service experiences in Duane Reade and terrible ones in Rite Aide.

Also, regarding the $5 back, since they round the cents up, technically you could spend only $50.50 and still get the $5 (assuming you spend $1.01 on each purchase).

 
At September 15, 2006 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. There is no corner of Duane and Reade; the streets are more or less parallel.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home