.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Orthodox Classmates

I have another Orthodox woman in each of my classes this semester. This may not sound like such a big deal, and the truth is, it isn't necessarily, but when I thought about it, I realized that it is the first time ever that I have ever been in class with another Orthodox Jew (at least that I know of). All through elementary, middle and high school, I was often the only Jew in my class, sometimes even the school. And in college, while there were a couple other Orthodox students at my university in Baltimore, I actually don't think there were any others in my particular progam, and never in my classes. So it's unusual for me to have someone in each of my classes this semester.

I'm quite impressed with them also. One of the women is in the PhD program at my (Catholic) university. The other is in her late-40's and works at a Bais Yacov in a very chasidish/yeshivish community. And this is the second Master's degree that she is working on.

The prospects of getting a PhD myself are looking brighter and brighter - if they can do it, so can I!

5 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 10:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never worked with Orthodox Jews and now I have 2 frum guys who work at my company. In college I had a frum guy in 1 of my classes but he was real yeshivish and also shy so he didn't talk to me, and the professor wanted to know why we weren't friends :)

 
At September 13, 2006 8:51 AM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Funny. When I took a couple classes at Queens College, it was the first time there were females in my class (since Kindergarten), let alone non-Jews. :)

 
At September 13, 2006 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It must be what I'm studying, but I may be not just the only Orthodox Jew in my program, but the only Jew, period. Okay, that may be a slight exaggeration, but not by much.

It doesn't make me think anything one of it one way or another, but it does make me feel self-conscious about even bentching, as opposed to when I was in Brooklyn College and half the school was Jewish so even davening mincha in stairwells seemed perfectly normal.

 
At September 13, 2006 10:45 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Of course you can, what makes you think otherwise. If anyone can, Shani, theres no doubt in my mind its you..

 
At September 13, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sara -
I've never had any frum co-workers. Your professors reaction is probably normal, I wonder whether I should be friends with my frum classmates due soley to the fact that they are frum, when the truth is, I might very well have more in common with other classmates. But there is a common bond there.

Ezzie -
Wow, your family was really frum to keep you away from girls since kindergarten ;)

Debbie -
It probably has to do with both your program and school. There are only a couple other frum students in my program, however; there are many frum students in the law school, because of its excellent reputation.

semgirl -
Thanks for the vote of confidence. The PhD is still undecided - we shall see what happens.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home