.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Security Reasons

My school has this habit of assigning different usernames and passwords for each and every different thing that they require you to log in to. For example, I have a different username and password for my school's e-mail system, registration system, and our school's special bulletin board page. When inquiring whether it's possible to change any of these, the answer is no, for security reasons. How do they expect us to remember so many different logins? Why isn't it better security for us to choose our own username and passwords, so that they aren't easily figured out by any other student?

6 Comments:

At September 12, 2006 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My school is the same way! Let's see, there's registration, e-mail, Blackboard, electronic databases, and e-reserves. Apparently they're going to be overhauling my school's website soon, which I'm looking forward to. I only wish they'd integrate these different services. My guess is that they can't because they're running off different software and systems that have nothing to do with each other.

 
At September 12, 2006 10:42 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Its called BUREAUCRACY

 
At September 12, 2006 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My old job was like that, too. Different log ins for every application we used and all the HR stuff. I kept a text file of every username and password and had to refer to it constantly.

 
At September 12, 2006 9:33 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
Maybe they will redesign ours as well, it sure could use it.

semgirl -
you are right.

sara -
I'm going to need to start a file myself soon...or just keep bugging those friendly IT guys.

 
At September 12, 2006 10:09 PM, Blogger ~~Silk said...

Perhaps you could write a letter to whomever is in charge of security (and copy the data processing manager) pointing out that when people have to remember multiple randomly-assigned passwords, THEY WRITE THEM DOWN! - which defeats the purpose of passwords altogether.

Security is enhanced when people select their own passwords, which they would not have to write down anywhere. A "password-checker" program could ensure that certain rules (like length and mix of letters and numbers) are followed.

 
At September 13, 2006 12:57 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

silk -
That is an excellent point. I think I might point it out to them...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home