.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pet Peeves

I have decided that I have two new pet peeves and I thought I would share them.

1) I IM with the best of them, and I will readily admit to using a few of the most popular acronyms out there. You can find me using "brb" (be right back) or "np" (no problem). But what irks me is that people have somehow decided that "lol" (Laughing out loud) has crossed over into normative writing practice and now insert it into emails, blog entries, dating profiles, etc., to laugh at their own, usually not terribly amusing jokes. It's one thing to respond with an "LOL" in response to someone else's joke to show your appreciation for their humor, but it's entirely another to "LOL" at yourself. Especially when it's not funny. Ugh.

2) Yes, the Ivy League colleges are known to offer a good education and be exclusively reserved for very smart people. However, I find it kind of pathetic when someone in their late 30's or even 40's described him or herself first as an "Ivy League Graduate." Um, hello, that was almost 20 years ago - have you done anything since then? I'm very proud of the fact that you got good SAT scores when you were 18, but have you used that intelligence and capacity for memorizing useless facts and words that don't show up in normal conversations for anything besides acting like you are big stuff for having $40K a year of your parent's money to throw at a university who probably does not brag about you the way you brag about it?

Ok, that's it. Just had to get that off my chest.

1 Comments:

At January 09, 2008 7:10 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

lol

:P

it's like laughing at your own jokes when no one else does. i'd imagine a older ivy league graduate would do that too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home