.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Amazing

This article just shows what can be accomplished with the right environment and encouragement. This program sounds amazing, and it shows that with motivation, responsibility and belief in who they are as individuals, teens - even ones from underprivileged backgrounds - can soar.

It's also interesting to note that this school is for males only - that the premise is that with girls present, these boys would feel the need to not be themselves in order to impress the chicks, while in a single-gender classroom, they can feel free to excel academically. Having gone to coeducational schools my entire life, I completely agree with this assumption and feel that I would have been much better off - socially, academically and emotionally, in a single-gender environment, especially for high school.

1 Comments:

At May 17, 2007 11:10 AM, Blogger SaraK said...

I have always felt that single-sex education is better for kids and I am so thankful I went to an all girls school for elementary & HS. Nothing to do with religious reasons, but kids definitely do better when they don't have the opposite sex around to distract them in class.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home