.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Muslim Fashion Difficulties

Interesting article in the NY Times about the difficulty Muslim women have in finding modest clothing in regular stores, as well as the difficulty in balancing the desire to be fashionable and fit in with the desire to follow religious strictures of modesty. I find the article particularly interesting for two reasons. The first is just the solidarity I feel for them - I certainly know how difficult it sometimes can be to find the appropriate attire in mainstream stores. The second reason is because I recently started reading the book "Reading Lolita in Tehran," which I am finding extremely interesting. More on that one later.

2 Comments:

At April 05, 2007 9:00 PM, Blogger ~~Silk said...

I found "Reading Lolita..." interesting, but frustrating. I was left with more questions than were answered.

 
At April 06, 2007 12:33 AM, Blogger P L said...

I just posted on my blog about that article. Doesn't it just blow your mind how similar they are to us?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home