.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Turban Promotion

Interesting article in the NY Times about the decline of men who are choosing to wear turbans these days. Despite the religious Sikh custom of not cutting one's hair (ever!) many young men are finding it too difficult and desire to fit in with the rest of the world, so they are chopping their hair off and no longer donning turbans. What I found really interesting about the article is the part where they describe the measures being taken to try to encourage these men to wear turbans - from an instruction video explaining proper turban style for face shape to pageants highlighting the best turban tying techniques, attempting are being made to rescue this custom. It reminds me of high school, where we had a Sikh student who initially wore a turban but, due to the torments of our high school classmates, eventually succumbed to peer pressure and shed his turban and long locks in exchange for fitting in.

2 Comments:

At March 29, 2007 1:39 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

I guess every culture has "kids at risk".

 
At March 29, 2007 10:53 PM, Blogger Mai said...

As a Sikh myself, I often wonder how a fellow Sikh feels after giving in to peer pressure; for that matter how does anyone feel after compromising what they are to appease others? Is it really worth it? I thank God that I have had the strength and encouragement from those around me to resist this. I pray I never have to find out.

I enjoy your blog. Feel free to visit mine and say hi. http://mai-sometimes.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home