.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, March 26, 2007

Voices

Absolutely fascinating article in the NY Times about those who hear voices and the new reframing being done in order to avoid a diagnosis of schizophrenia in such circumstances, which can result in treatment that is often more damaging than the original voices. I've occasionally wondered (usually spurned by a movie portrayal) what it must be like to be in a situation where you hear voices that you have absolutely no control over and that no one else can hear. I think it would be terrifying, but the people interviewed in the article take a very different, and seemingly therapeutic approach to the experience.

1 Comments:

At March 28, 2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

I read that too. The more I learn about psychology, the more I become a Szaszian -- there is way too much overpathologization of normal behavior.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home