.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Haaretz Article

My non-commenting reader sent me a link to the Haaretz article detailing a woman's report of being beaten for not riding in the back of the bus, that many other bloggers have been talking about for some time. I do wonder at the discrepancy between the woman's report and the bus driver's, but regardless, if it was in fact a non-separate seating bus, this woman had every right to sit wherever she wanted to. And, to hear that it was claimed that it was a lack of tznius (modesty) for her to sit amongst the men makes me wonder where exactly in the Talmud or Torah is states that women are not allowed to sit amongst men on buses. This is a bus we are talking about, please remember, not a synagogue or any kind of religious service, where separate seating does have some justification. Furthermore, if her claim is true, where the heck does it say that it's fine to abuse and use violence against someone for doing something you don't like? I think it might even be against the Torah to use violence against a woman for sitting in the seat you want. And to do this in the name of religion...well, it unfortunately makes me think that Dawkins has a point...(sigh.)

2 Comments:

At December 19, 2006 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This goes beyond the usual throwing rocks at cars driving on shabbos behavior.

That said, I'm saddened, but not surprised.

 
At December 20, 2006 9:51 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Chuck -
I am surprised.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home