.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Perspective Revisited

Being in New Square this Shabbos was certainly interesting. I gained a new perspective on the vast separation between the genders that exists there.

I used to get annoyed when a frum man refused to look at me, or speak to me, because I figured if I was dressed tnziusly and wasn't being directly flirtatious, what's the matter with looking at a woman? What was so bothersome that a man had to avoid even glancing in my direction, to the point where it felt like rudeness?

But I tried to gain new perspective on the matter. I thought about the whistles and comments I get when walking through the streets of New York, dressed completely tzniusly. And I realized that part of the package of frum men not looking at me, means that I don't get whistles and comments from them either. It gives me a measure of respect. I like that perspective. (Though I have to admit, that I still will probably have some issues with the complete separation, but that's my issue, I guess.)

2 Comments:

At May 21, 2006 4:58 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

You are so naive, its amusing. All I will say is that the Gerrer Rebbe said "its better to loook at a lady and think of the wall, then to look at the wall and think about the lady"..

 
At May 22, 2006 6:23 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

sg -
I didn't say that was the only reason that I am sure they have for it, I said that perspective makes me feel a little better about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home