.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Oy!

I have to say, after listening to my roommate (in this last week before her wedding) deal with all the stresses and hassles that come along with planning a wedding, hearing her get in fight after fight with her mother about every possible scenario, sympathizing with the ordeals involved with trying to please her in-laws, and watching her try to finish all the last minute details, just reinforces my sentiment that weddings cause much more stress than they are worth. Why should someone who should be getting herself ready for a marriage (which is enough to prepare for) have to care about seating arrangements, dry cakes, overdone dresses and ridiculously priced flowers for a few hours, when they really want to focus on the rest of their life with the person they love? Too much trouble if you ask me. I say - elope! (Yes, I know I am in the tiny minority of women who feel this way, but I have absolutely no interest in dealing with all those headaches.)

9 Comments:

At January 23, 2006 11:51 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Every guy agrees (at least to some extent).

 
At January 24, 2006 7:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree!The actual ceremony seems more for the guests and for show. This easily distracts the couple from whats most important..I say keep it simple and invest all that effort in what comes afterwards, the rest of your life!

 
At January 24, 2006 8:32 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
I am sure they do. And they are very lucky that they don't have to deal so much with all the headaches of planning a wedding.

Adi -
Let's start a movement! There must be a few more of us out there.

 
At January 24, 2006 10:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I agree that planning a wedding can be a hassle, a well-done wedding (as opposed to an overdone one) can be extremely spiritually uplifting.

That said, the older I get the less of an elaborate wedding I want. But I will never, never give up the dress.

 
At January 24, 2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

Shoshana - I'd also mention that out of NY/NJ, there's a lot less that goes into it. They're a lot nicer, too.

 
At January 24, 2006 3:25 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
I have certainly been to my share of wonderful weddings. I just don't want to deal with planning one!

Ezzie -
I've actually only been to one wedding in NY. The ones outside had plenty going into them, beleive me!

 
At January 25, 2006 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two words: wedding planner. :)

 
At January 25, 2006 9:38 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
No kidding.

 
At January 26, 2006 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just saying there's a difference between not wanting to *have* a big wedding and not wanting to *plan* a big wedding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home