.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Sunday, October 30, 2005

I Just Can't Relate

I love my friends, and their kids. I absolutely adore walking into my friend's homes and seeing their children's faces light up and the hugs and kisses I get from them. I really enjoy having the kids curled on my lap so I can read them books and sing songs with them.

I know that these children are the focus of my friends' lives. I understand that their attachment is to their home. And I know that my friends care about me and are working hard to keep up the relationship with me on top of all of their familial responsibilities.

Which is why I feel bad when, after sitting through half an hour or more of listening to discussion of bedtime schedules, ear infections, and toilet training stories, I just want to say to my friends, "I don't care. I can't relate to your stories, it is not my stage of life at the moment. I just don't care if your child can sleep with his blanket or not. And I can't handle listening to you talk about it anymore."

Of course, I never say these things. And I welcome cute stories about the funny things that my friends' children do. But honestly, after listening to the toilet training, bedtime schedules and feeding troubles from my friends, I don't want to talk to my friends anymore. And it makes me feel like if that is what being a parents does to you - reduces from an intellectual human being who can speak intelligently about many topics to someone who discusses how often their babies spit up, I don't want to do it.

So, to my married friends - if you want me to desire to have children, please stop. Please talk to me about things I can relate to. Tell me the cute stories. Send me pictures.

Sorry for the rant - can you tell I just had another of those conversations?

4 Comments:

At October 31, 2005 4:05 AM, Blogger TRK said...

It's the brain drain, what a shame, 50% of human ability going to waste

 
At October 31, 2005 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can be honest with your friends, tell them, "I love your kids and I love hearing cute stories about them, but I'm just not interested in the nitty-gritty details, like how many times they made on the potty." It has worked with my friends. Most people who want to maintain a relationship with you will knock their foreheads and think, "Duh! Why would anyone want to hear about this stuff, especially Shoshana?" Good luck!

 
At October 31, 2005 6:11 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

TRK - I am not sure where the 50% amount comes from.

Sara - You are right, I need to be more up front with my inability to be interested with these conversations. I am going to work on that one.

 
At November 03, 2005 1:18 AM, Blogger TRK said...

twas an exaggeration, though half the population of the nation is female, and too many of them let their brains rot on baby food and diapers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home