.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Toughen Up

I think I need to toughen up a bit. This morning while on the bus, I was reading "Tuesdays with Morrie." As they were describing Morrie's failing health, and his incredible, but of course, challenged attitude surrounding his death, I couldn't help but to tear up. I'm used to crying, but what really surprised me was that I had to shut the book and stop reading. I couldn't handle it. This for a man who passed away quite a few years ago, whose book I have read before and who I never knew. Still, he certainly manages to touch me even today. His lessons are those that anyone can learn from.

A couple months ago I was reading another book in which the main character's death was alluded to quite a while before the book ended. I found myself dreading the ending, and did drag out reading the end of the book for quite a while.

I guess I am quite fortunate that I have never had to deal with the death of someone I was close with. I certainly have never had to endure the agony of a prolonged illness on the part of anyone I have known well. I am not sure how I would deal with it.

2 Comments:

At October 31, 2005 3:48 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

B"H you have not had to deal with death. Life is funny this way. I think that Hashem prepares us to deal with these things. For me it started with an aquaintance in high school, then a friend in high school, grandparents, great grandparents, aunts uncles, close friends as an adult...and then my brother. Now, my mother is terminally ill and I know she can't last forever. Life is amazing how just like in becoming more religious/observant comes in baby steps, so does the way in which I've learned to deal with death.

May the people you love live LONG so you don't have so many baby steps to take :)

 
At October 31, 2005 6:09 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Tamara -

I know I am incredibly lucky to have not had to deal with death. Consequently, I have trouble even going to a shiva house. In some ways, I kind of wish I knew how to deal with these things, because I imagine I won't handle it well when I am actually faced with it, but in reality, I would never wish to have had experience in dealing with death.

I am sorry that you have had to take so many baby steps in dealing with death.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home