.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Possibly Habitable Planet Found

This article certainly caught my eye this morning with its headline about a new planet being found that seems to have the features that would hospitable to life. I readily admit that don't know that much, but I have to say that I wonder at the assumptions the scientists are making. This quote marked my skepticism - "Liquid water is critical to life as we know it." The "as we know it" part is what bothers me. The article is full of the exciting news that this newly-found planet is like our own Earth, but what if life as we know it is not the only life out there? What if a totally different type of life thrives not on water, but on something completely different? Maybe what the scientists are really saying is that this planet could possibly have the kind of life that we recognize and can study. Whatever it is though, it is interesting.

4 Comments:

At April 25, 2007 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

 
At April 25, 2007 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

 
At April 25, 2007 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ugh...the blog keeps cutting it off..its 'drake_equation' at the end

 
At April 25, 2007 9:30 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Thanks! This one was also very interesting (even mentions Judaism).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home