.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Mezuzahs

I just overheard my boss, who is Jewish but not observant, telling a friend of hers to put mezuzahs on her doors. She said after she was in a car accident someone told her to do so, and it certainly can't hurt, so she was passing on the suggestion. It was interesting to hear - I guess you never know attachment people have to spirituality.

4 Comments:

At March 01, 2006 10:24 AM, Blogger Pragmatician said...

Actually Mezuzahs are quit popular by non religious people, they consider it a protection against harm. I don’t know if it’s really an attachment to spirituality as it is superstition.

 
At March 01, 2006 11:16 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Interesting point, and I think you could be accurate.

I guess I came from a somewhat unusual family - while they were non-observant, they also had a very strong Jewish identity, and we always had mezuzahs on each door, just because that's what Jews did (though whether there were kosher scrolls in each one is a different story). I am still always surprised to walk into any Jewish home without mezuzahs.

 
At March 01, 2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

An irreligious woman was in our apartment a couple of days ago, and said she kashered her house when she got pregnant after a few years of having trouble having children.

 
At March 02, 2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Ezzie -
It's really interesting what draws people to religious acts. Whatever works, I guess!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home