.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Different Cultures

In class last night, my professor discussed Indian (from India that is) culture and was explaining the collectivist mindset that prevails throughout much of the Asian and African parts of the world. He was discussing how in these cultures things like marriage and career are decided by family, rather than individuals. How arranged marriages are the norm and the decision to not abide by those decisions are seen as disgraces to the entire family and reason for excommunication.

He also described American culture as individualistic and rooted in personal decision, rather than communal consideration.

What was interesting is that I see Orthodox Judaism as a kind of blending of the two. I am not certain it always was, I think it might have been much more collectivist in the past. And I am not sure how much American society has filtered in to make it what it is today. But it was interesting.

4 Comments:

At February 28, 2006 10:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right. In the shtetl things were much much more communal and it cut both ways -- for good and for bad. People were probably less free to make their own decisions, but there was also a lot more communal support for institutions.

But today the communalness (is that a word?) only cuts one way -- for the bad. People are expected to behave a certain way and do certain things "or they won't get a good shidduch," but there's no communal support for yeshivas, for example. Families spend thousands on weddings and then claim they can't pay the tuition bill.

The Jewish community in New York has run amok. I'm starting a "back to Texas" movement. Who's with me?

 
At February 28, 2006 1:24 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
I agree with you. I was born in Texas, maybe it's time to move back. I like out of town, and I'm terribly sick of the cold.

 
At February 28, 2006 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Houston has the best Jewish community, based on my (admittedly limited) experience. It is the only place where someone asked me if I had somewhere to stay for Shabbos. Nobody in LA, San Diego, Boston, Atlanta, or even my beloved Charleston did that. If it weren't for my baby nieces I would seriously be considering applying to Sam Houston University for my Ph.D.

 
At March 01, 2006 10:11 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
I actually have never been to Houston. I have to say that I am very surprised with your experience in Atlanta though. When I lived there, I always had a place for Shabbos, and if I showed up in shul without plans, I was usually invited to more than one place, I always found it very warm and welcoming.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home