.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

The Kindness of Strangers

I rented a cell phone to use while I was in Israel. The company I rented it from sent it to me before I left and I had to send it back once I returned here in the U.S. When I got back in on Monday, and was putting together all the accessories and package to return it, I couldn't find the phone.

I have to admit that I panicked a little. The company charges an exhorbitant fee for a lost phone. I called the airline and placed a lost item report and they told me it would take a few days befoe they would get back to me. When I got home from work, I unpacked everything, looked in every nook and cranny and couldn't find the phone. I went out with a friend that evening and told her how I couldn't find my phone.

When I got home my roommate told me that there was a message from the cab company who had transported me from the airport to my home that morning saying that they had found my phone. I was so relieved. I called them and they said that the driver who had transported me was sleeping and that they would have him call me the next day.

Yesterday morning, I called the cab company early and asked for the drivers number so I could call him and arrange to pick up my phone. They informed me that he had already driven to my home and dropped the phone off with another person who lives in my house. Without asking for any kind of compensation, he went out of his way to do this incredible kindness for me, saving me a couple hundred dollars.

I didn't even know his name, but he really made an impact on my life. Maybe he didn't have to go far, but his act went really far in my book.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home