.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Friday, March 14, 2008

Deli

I was just informed by my co-workers that they think it is quite quaint that I call those thinly sliced pieces of meat "deli." Apparently, in these modern times, it is referred to as "cold cuts." Deli is a place, not a food. I'm not sure if I was not formerly informed of this because I grew up outside New York, or if it is a Jewish thing. Hmmm....

1 Comments:

At March 14, 2008 5:09 PM, Blogger ~~Silk said...

My understanding -- deli is the shop (short for delicatessen, which is defined as a shop which sells imported, ethnic, or unusual foods, same root as "delicacy".) The meats are cold cuts, but when they are sliced especially thinly, then they may be described as "deli cut" cold cuts.

That may be where the deli" as referring to the meat came from -"deli cut" - but "deli cut" is a description of HOW they are sliced, not what they are.

I hope that made sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home