.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Diabulimia

Article from my rarely commenting friend about "diabulimia" - a disorder in which diabetic women withhold their necessary insulin in order to lose weight, seriously jeopardizing their health. It's scary to read how these women, who have serious medical issues to begin with, would withhold their treatment from themselves in order to lose weight, with the knowledge that they may be risking their lives in the process.

I've been thinking a lot lately about how a woman's body image and appearance are often so intertwined with their self-worth (I'm sure there are men who experience this also, but I don't think it's even close to the same extent). How a "fat day" or a pimple can affect a woman's entire emotional state. How a small compliment about one's appearance can leave a female floating. And how we women often work so hard on our appearance, sometimes valuing how we are responded to physically to the exclusion of other aspects of ourselves. I don't really understand it fully and it's definitely something I experience. Maybe more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home