.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, June 18, 2007

Merit Pay for Teachers

The NY Times has an interesting article about paying teachers bonuses based on merit, rather than for seniority. It's an interesting, and I think, compelling system, though I am not fond of using the measuring stick of standardized test scores. I think bonuses should be given for innovative teaching efforts and the development of new curriculum that engages students. Though, admittedly, I think this would be more difficult to administer and measure than standardized test scores, I think it would benefit the students and the school systems for the future.

1 Comments:

At June 18, 2007 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think this is a really bad idea. When raises are based on biased subjective opinions, some will gain but many will lose. If you have a lousy supervisor, it does not make a difference how innovative you are, you will not be recognized for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home