.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Birthright

My brother just got back from Israel. He went on a Birthright trip, with an organization called Oranim. I spoke to him earlier, and although he sounded like he was about to pass out from exhaustion, he told me the one major thing he learned and decided on the trip - that from now on, he only wants to date Jewish girls. I asked him what exactly made him decide such a thing, and he said that they had a speaker talk, and that seeing things like Yad Vashem impressed upon him enough the importance of marrying Jewish and carrying on his heritage. He made it clear not to expect him to become Orthodox (I didn't expect such) but that he is making baby steps and that he thinks it's important. Based on that alone, I think Birthright is doing an excellent job.

6 Comments:

At June 10, 2007 8:32 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

That's AWESOME.

 
At June 10, 2007 11:40 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

That is a pretty amazing thing, and personally, I think the biggest step one can make for Jewish continuity. Kol hakavod to your brother and to the speaker/organization that helped him come to this monumental decision.

 
At June 11, 2007 7:54 AM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Thats wonderful. Dont worry he says that now. Personally, with a role-model like you for a sister, I dont think its possible that one day he won't eventually become frum..

 
At June 11, 2007 6:44 PM, Blogger Ahuva said...

That is fantastic news!

 
At June 11, 2007 7:32 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

that's great. and i've heard similar things from/about people who have been on other birthright programs so it's doing good!

 
At June 12, 2007 11:57 PM, Blogger Jack Steiner said...

Cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home