.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Female Sperm Donors

My rarely commenting friend sent me this article about the prospect of bone marrow being developed into sperm (don't ask me how they do it, too complicated for me to have a clue). This is great news for lesbian couples who don't want a man to have any part of the DNA of their children. Bad news is that it would only produce male children. It's a weird concept, almost seems like doctors are trying to play God.

4 Comments:

At April 13, 2007 2:39 AM, Blogger Dan Balsamo said...

Is this really possible? Women who are supposed to have egg cells only can now produce sperm cells? Holy mother of G-d! This is real good news to lesbian couples. Although I don't think it would matter if they are only going to have male children, as long as they'd have their own kids, that's what's important.

I still can't imagine how people are making all these possible. I still believe that God is the only one who has the rights to create man. And in the bible he specifically said that a woman is for a man and vice-versa. Well it's up to human how they want things to be. And we can't deprive them of such.

Mel Balsamo
JRomances.com

 
At April 13, 2007 10:51 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

It would produce only *female* children.

I rather like the thought of it.

 
At April 13, 2007 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think actually it would be more of a boon for single straight women. If one doesnt have a hubbie or if ones hubbie is infertile, why should you have to go find some anonymous donor? Even with screening, wouldnt one prefer ones own DNA than that of strangers? It wouldnt be cloning as the child would not have an identical genotype. Not to mention the number of halachik problems you could solve with this. Seems to me like a great idea, if it works. Finally, I dont think doctors are trying to play God. They simply are Gods.

 
At April 15, 2007 12:00 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Debbie -
I'm not sure I like the sound of it - just imagine the singles crisis in 20 years!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home