.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Monday, July 23, 2007

Various Thoughts

- EVERYONE I know is talking about Harry Potter. I have yet to read a single one of the books, though I may be going to see my first Harry Potter movie (in IMAX) this weekend. I don't really feel like I'm missing all that much. A friend of mine said something to the effect of how the books must be pretty good since they are so popular, but I pointed out the fact that many popular things throughout the years have, in fact, been completely stupid. Perfect example - the pet rock. I mean, come on. So, I am going to continue to avoid this fad.

- I was really impressed by something that happened on Shabbos. I was having lunch with a family that I am pretty close with. Their non-Jewish neighbor from across the street came over during lunch and invited them to a birthday party they were having. We watched lots of guests come in their shorts and t-shirts and super-casual attire to the party in the backyard. My hosts, the husband dressed in his suit and the wife dressed in nice Shabbos clothes, walked across the street to say happy birthday and say hi. They felt completely out of place but thought it was important to be friendly and nice to their neighbors. I was really happy to see that.

- I attended a small part of the Beyond BT shabbton this weekend. It was nice to see a few familiar faces and meet a few new people. It was a little surreal to introduce myself to people and have them say, "Are you the Shoshana who writes on the site?" like I was a big name or something. It was a little weird, but everyone was very friendly.

- I'm drinking lots of Powerade today in preparation for the fast of Tisha B'Av tomorrow. I encourage everyone else to do the same. It helps. Have an easy and meaningful fast.

3 Comments:

At July 23, 2007 11:03 AM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

My thoughts on Harry Potter exactly (and I'm not watching any of the movies either - there are just so many other movies that I DO watch to watch). However, if you like truly thought-provoking fantasy, try His Dark Materials. Very interesting thoughts on religion and science, plus the first part is coming out in November and seems to have a great cast.

 
At July 23, 2007 1:46 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

I thought I was the only person who hasn't read any Harry Potter books. I tried to read the first one and I just couldn't get through it. I have no interest in seeing any of the movies either.

That story of your Shabbas hosts is really nice. It's so important for Orthodox Jews to show they are friendly and neighborly.

 
At July 23, 2007 8:00 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

I only read the books cos so often I felt left out of conversations because I didn't know what ppl were talking about.

Now it's all about the hype.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home