.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Linguistics

I find it very interesting that in my office, a chest of drawers is pronounced (and very unfortunately, spelled) "draws" while a drawing is pronounced "drawering." Seems like it should be opposite. I'm not sure I'll ever fail to be amused by the way New Yorkers talk. (Yeah, yeah, I know they think I talk funny. Whatever.)

3 Comments:

At February 15, 2007 6:06 PM, Blogger Ezzie said...

LOLOLOL

Serach always called it draws, and I always argued with her about it. Finally, one day, I made her spell it - D, R, A, W, S. I cracked up [as did whoever else was involved in the discussion] and that was it. (Now she calls them drawers!)

:::sigh::: NY***ers.

 
At February 15, 2007 7:36 PM, Blogger RaggedyMom said...

Ahh, linguistics. My college major. Memories . . .

Actually, I say "draws" like most NYers, and when someone scribbles a picture, I also pronounce that a "draw'ing." Crazy, perhaps, but consistent :)

What's funny is that RaggedyDad's foreign-learned English has become a mish-mash of what he learned from non-native speakers overseas, Oxford English, and my own NY accent.

 
At February 16, 2007 11:09 AM, Blogger SaraK said...

My accents is becoming such a mish-mash since I moved, as well. I used to have the real "Bawl-more" thing goin' on. NY-ese is creeping into my speech...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home