.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Honorifics

My professors at school often ask us to call them by their first names. I have a very hard time doing this, mainly because I know how much hard work they have put in to deserve their title of "Dr." and because we are definitely not peers - they are in a power position to, they have worked hard to get there and I feel like they deserve my respect. So, to the often consternation of my professors, I usually persist in calling them "Dr. So-and-So" until I clearly am asked not to (which has happened).

The funny part is, I plan on completing a PhD at some point, and I would hate to have people calling me "Dr. Blah-Blah." I would probably insist that people call me by my first name as well, I just can't imagine going around, using my title to announce my educational achievements. So why do I have such a hard time with others who feel that way?

2 Comments:

At February 06, 2007 2:57 PM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

guess it's a respect thing, you feel that you need to be proper because of their position. but maybe they feel the same way as you about the title.

 
At February 06, 2007 7:00 PM, Blogger RaggedyMom said...

RaggedyDad got home last night from the first class of a new semester in his part-time MBA program. Apparently, his professor went to school with Alan Greenspan and has been teaching at NYU for something like 50 years.

What does he want to be called? Dr. Bob. I think it's just weird . . .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home