.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Security Measures

Yahoo! has been implementing a lot of security measures lately. I have noticed a new security seal where you choose a picture to verify that the site you are using is legit, and yesterday, it offered a word verification before I sent an e-mail to attempt to stop spammers. They are really going to quite the lengths to make their users feel secure. (I have to admit that I find these measures slightly annoying as I just want to send e-mails, not have to go through a whole process to do so.)

What I think is ironic is that I also just noticed that in my e-mails, they highlight certain key words within the e-mail to offer helpful information such as maps or links. This makes me feel less secure, knowing that there is some way they are screening my e-mails for content. (I know Yahoo isn't the only system doing this, as Gmail puts ads on the sidebar that correspond to the content of your e-mails, but I'm very good at ignoring sidebars.) I just want them to leave me alone - just let me use my e-mail without any kind of special screening, ads or anything else. Is that too much to ask for?

2 Comments:

At October 25, 2006 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i understand what you mean. but as we know, internet is not a safe place anymore

 
At October 25, 2006 1:04 PM, Blogger SemGirl said...

Gmail is very creepy... I have a chat with a friend of mine and suddenly there are ads on the side for dating services, advice on romantic rel-ships, preg. products, maternity clothing, etc....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home