.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Embarrassed

I wasn't planning on writing any more before Yom Kippur, but I just heard a story that made me so sad and embarrassed that I just feel the need to pass it on.

A friend of mine went to get gas for her car here in Passaic at one of the gas stations on our Main Avenue. In New Jersey, it's a law that the attendants have to pump your gas for you, i.e. full serve. However, her car was acting up and was requiring constant attention, so she told the attendant that she would take care of it, and she got out of the car and filled the tank herself.

After she was done, the attendant came up to her and asked her if she was Jewish. She answered that she was. He told her that he hadn't been sure, because she was so nice to him. He said that most of the Jewish people who came to the gas station acted like he didn't even exist. Didn't speak to him, look at him, nothing. And if they did, it was very negatively. He said he felt like they saw him as less than human, as a monkey. He went on and on, while my friend tried to give some unsatisfactory reasoning for the behavior of her fellow Jews.

I was so sad to hear this story. In a community such as Passaic, where there are non-Jews who live right next to myself, and a lot of other Jews, it's embarrassing to hear that this is the attitude we are seen as having - as looking at others as if they are not human, rather than treating everyone with respect.

Even if this attendant's report is exaggerated, that his perception is much worse than the truth, he has been treated poorly by his Jewish customers, of that I have no doubt. And now he is surprised by a Jew who is polite. Which is terrible.

I think we each (Jew and non-Jew for that matter) should take a step back and look at how we treat others and what conclusions they might draw from our actions. I hate the idea that an Orthodox Jewish community is seen by its neighbors as treating everyone horribly, as sub-human. That is certainly not what G-d intended.

3 Comments:

At October 02, 2006 9:32 AM, Blogger Sarah Likes Green said...

that is a shame. and sad that people get that treatment and have that perception of jews.

(side point - when I was very briefly in NJ i thought it was quite interesting that there is someone serving at the gas station. It was absolutely freezing out there, they totally deserve a thank you for that!)

 
At October 02, 2006 10:46 PM, Blogger SaraK said...

I always treat the gas station attendants nicely, as anyone who knows me well knows I hate to pump my own gas ;-) so I love filling up in NJ. I try to treat everyone nicely, for that matter, and I totally agree with you, Shoshana. How sad that this is his perception of religious Jews. The community of Passaic seems so nice...

 
At October 03, 2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sarah -
I'm very sad to hear that anyone would treat anyone that way. I try very hard to at least be polite to anyone, especially those who are helping me.

SaraK -
It's quite a luxury having my gas pumped for me (and one that I have gotten quite used to). Maybe we just need more people from Baltimore to move to Passaic :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home