.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sweet Rose Ramblings (AKA The Call-Waiting Blog)

A place for my unformed thoughts. Help me sort them out!

Friday, July 21, 2006

Not a Winner

I was amused this morning when I opened my cereal box. They are running a promotion in which you can win a pair of jeans. I didn't really pay any attention to it (because what am I going to do with a pair of jeans?), but when I went to pour my cereal I saw a funny message inside. Instead of the typical, "I'm sorry, you are not a winner, try again," I found "Sorry, this box is not a winner." I had to wonder what kind of complaint they received in order to change the language like that.

5 Comments:

At July 21, 2006 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People probably felt bad when it said YOU are not a winner so they had to change it to the more passive voice. You're still a good person! It's just the BOX that's not the winner.

 
At July 21, 2006 2:04 PM, Blogger StepIma said...

LMAO

They do that at the Oscars too - it used to be "and the winner is..." and now (for the last 5 years or so) it's been "and the Oscar goes to..."

I guess it's that whole American "there are no losers, everybody gets a trophy and a hug" self-esteem thing

oy.

 
At July 21, 2006 4:11 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sara -
Someone probably threatened to sue for emotional damage due to being told that they are not a winner.

StepIma -
I think people need to have better self-esteem.

 
At July 22, 2006 9:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rejection via cereal box competitions has probably been banned in legisation because somebody topped themselves after not winnning a trip to Hawaii or something bizarre like that. What a weird world we live in.

I wish the govewrnment could find a way of softening the blow of when you get dumped by a lover. You know make break-ups easier by handing each other cards/letters with:

'Sorry, it's not you, it's me' scribed on them, or 'Sorry we've broken up, it's your clothes not you.'

 
At July 24, 2006 12:41 PM, Blogger Shoshana said...

Sarah -
Do you think it would really help?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home